Saturday, May 3, 2014

Simple Lesson planning and schedules That fit

When I first started homeschooling not only did I think I had to use the same material as public schools I also thought I had to plan out our school year lesson by lesson subject by subject. I would spend weeks with all my curriculum books around me flipping through to divide the lessons by the number of days we do school. As I grew more comfortable homeschooling and realized how every little I actually used this type of lesson plan I devised my own system. It is simple not time consuming at all. For the most part curriculum wise I follow loosely Montessori/ Waldorf . Both have a good bit of flexibility and can be blended with many ages/levels. This allows me to have my kids working on the same topics at the same time in many areas. It also allows me to use my intuition when it comes to their own individual needs.  First off a make a list of topics I hope to cover in each subject. I also make a list of concepts or areas I feel each need more work in. Then I get 12 pieces of paper labeling each one with a month of the year. I add any special days like holidays or vacations that fall in that month. Then I start with the month we start our school year. This year that will be June. I list the topics to cover for each subject that month. I do not go into great detail. For ex. under science it may just say insects. Now we will dig deep into that topic but I do not write every single activity on my lesson plan. I then keep a daily log of what each child did in each area and amount of time spent.

This is an example of my weekly log


1st block(1Hr)

Circle time

Spiritual

Reading

Spelling/writing
Tuesday

animal stories

affirmation

independent

week 1
Wednesday 

insect folk

meditation

independent

week1
Thursday 

insect folk

white light or protection
independent

week1
Friday 

insect folk

meditation

independent

week 1
2nd  block lesson
 (1.5 Hrs)
Math


Grammar



Multiplication review
A+ tutor soft
 Triangles



Workbook
1pg


Multiplication review
A+ Tutor soft
 Triangles



Workbook
1pg
3rd  block lesson
 (2.5Hrs)
History

Science

Geography

Botany/ Geology


Story of the Universe 
 
Insects/ants


Gardening growth chart


Story of the Universe

Insects/ants


Gardening growth chart

Big Bang Movie


Build an ant farm

Parts of a flower cards
  
Research Big Band write paper on 

label the  parts of an ant
gardening growth chart
4th  block lesson
 (1 Hr)
Practical Life

Art

Music
Art

food prep

Big Bang art
Life

cooking

Finish Big Bang Art
Art/Life

hand washing dishes

Recorder lesson 1
Music

laundry



recorder lesson 1 review

Date:_6/17-14-6/214____Time 24_hrs  _Name__Alyssa Cater__



By writing a more general schedule and lesson plan it gives me room for all those things that come up in life that through off your week without having to rewrite my entire lesson book for the yr. BTW I do not recommending writing out more than 6-9 weeks at a time because you want to make sure your curriculum and your schedule really do work for your families needs and life. For us we only school 4 days a week and in the summer that is 3 days a week. I personally do not live in a state that requires more detailed records but if you do there are many different free homeschool record programs out there. I like A simple plan from My Mardel Homeschool  http://homeschool.mardel.com/Intro  There is also ones like Homeschooling records.com that you can input grades and attendance  http://www.homeschoolingrecords.com/  and http://www.homeschoolskedtrack.com/HomeSchool/displayLogin.do  I have found that extreme detailed lesson plans not only do not work for me and my personal needs but they need up being a complete waste of my time and effort. Blogs themselves are another easy yet fun way to record what your child/ren cover each day. You can even add in pictures of them doing it.  For those who follow more of a relaxed or unschooling style of learning blogs are great way to show the state what your children are learning.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment